FAQ About NOPL Services & Policies
What are some of the services that the
Library offers for the convenience of its patrons?
- Free Library Cards and online library registration
- Lending materials: Books, CDs, DVDs, Music CDs, Audiobooks, eBooks, Magazines, and Newspapers
- Interlibrary loan
- Downloadable audio-books, e-books, magazines and music
- Online Research Tools
- Computers, iPads, internet, Wi-Fi, and outgoing fax services
- Resource Materials in the Louisiana Division, City Archives & Special Collections, the African American Resource Center, and the Southern Food and Beverage Museum Culinary Collection
- Book Sales
- Community Programs for all ages
- YMCA Adult Literacy Center
- Reference assistance through AskNOPL
- Online credit card payment options for fines ($5 minimum payment) (Click on the "My Account" tab, log in to your account, and choose "Fines & Fees" from the drop-down list.)
- Test proctoring
- Meeting rooms
- Every effort will be made to provide interpretation of library programs for the hearing-impaired. Contact the branch hosting the program to request this service.
Who qualifies for a free library
- In the spirit of growth within our metropolitan community, New Orleans Public Library provides library card privileges not only to residents of Orleans Parish, but also to library card holders in Jefferson and St. Bernard parishes.
What information is needed when
applying for a library card?
- To receive a permanent library card, an applicant should provide picture identification, such as a valid Louisiana Driver's License or Louisiana State ID noting residency in Orleans, Jefferson or St. Bernard Parish. If the applicant has an out-of-state driver's license or other photo ID (a local college student ID, for example), the photo ID must be accompanied by one of the following proof of residence (voter's registration card, lease or rent receipt, piece of mail delivered to applicant at applicant's address, printed check, etc.)
- If the applicant has no picture ID, any combination of two proofs of residency as listed above will be
Can a person under age 18 apply for a
card when the parent or guardian is not present?
- If the parent/guardian is unable to come to the library, the underage applicant can take the application home for the parent/guardian to sign. Until the parent/guardian signs the application and proof of eligibility has been shown, the applicant will be allowed limited borrowing privileges.
- Whether the parent/guardian is present or not when the card is
issued, he/she is responsible for materials borrowed by the child.
Are there any exceptions to the
- Military personnel and their dependents who either live on a
military base in Metropolitan New Orleans or are quartered off-base
in out-of-Orleans Parish housing, should be issued free library cards.
(The Census Bureau defines the New Orleans Metropolitan Statistical
Area as consisting of the following parishes: Jefferson, Orleans,
Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. James, St John the Baptist
and St. Tammany.)
- Students who attend Orleans Parish schools but donít live in Orleans Parish are still eligible to get library cards with proof of enrollment.
Are non-resident cards available?
- Persons who own property in New Orleans but who do not live in Orleans Parish can get an NOPL card by filling out a library card application as a non-resident and supplying identification and proof of ownership of their Orleans Parish property (i.e. a property tax bill, mortgage statement, or deed).
- Individuals who do not live in or own property in Orleans Parish can get an NOPL card by paying a fee of $50.00 for an individual or $100.00 for a family. These cards are good for one year and entitle their holders to the same privileges as resident card holders.
- Applicants must fill out NOPL registration form, checking the non-resident section. They must provide identification and proof of address similar to proof provided by residents. For non-resident family cards, an application must be filled out for each family member. Mail the completed form(s) with your payment (a check made to New Orleans Public Library) to:
New Orleans Public Library
219 Loyola Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70112
- Non-resident cards can also be obtained in person at any NOPL facility.
- To apply for a card online, CLICK HERE.
Can I use my library card at any location?
- Your card is good at all New Orleans Public Library locations.
How many items can I check out on my card?
- The maximum number of cataloged items that can be checked out on your library card is 30 items. These may include:
- Up to 30 books
- Up to 6 audio books
- Up to 6 DVDs
- Up to 6 music CDs
- Up to 3 downloadable titles on Overdrive
- Up to 3 downloadable titles on Cloud Library
- Up to 5 mp3s per week on Freegal
- No limit on uncataloged paperbacks
- No limit on past issues of periodicals but current issues are for use in the library only (does not apply to Main library)
What are the loan periods for library
- DVD's: 7 days
- Overdrive (downloadable) titles: 2 weeks
- Cloud Library (downloaded) titles: 2 weeks
- Freegal music downloads: No return period
- Popular reading books: 2 weeks
- New and Now materials: 2 weeks; no renewals
- All other circulating materials: 3 weeks
Are there differences in what adults, students, and juveniles can check out?
- Adults (18 and up) may check out any circulating item.
- Students (12-17) may check out any circulating item with the exception of unrated and R-rated DVDs.
- Juveniles (0-11) may check out any circulating item with the exception of DVDs.
How many times can I renew an item