Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a service offered by NOPL free of charge. (Note: While we will attempt to fill all requests that comply with the guidelines below, there are some libaries that may charge a fee for their services. Such fees will be passed on to you.)
To request ILL service, fill out a request card at your library.
What can be borrowed?
- Books not owned by NOPL
- Articles in magazines/journals that are not owned by NOPL
What cannot be borrowed?
- Books published within the last calendar year
- Whole magazines
- Audio-visual materials
- Most genealogical material
Other ILL facts and rules:
- There is a limit of 5 active requests for adults and students or 3 active requests for juveniles
- If you have fines in excess of $2.00, we can't file an ILL request for you until the fine is paid
- The ILL loan period is 3 weeks
- Overdue fines are $1.00 per day for each ILL item
- All ILL items must be returned to the library in person and never be put into a bookdrop
- To renew an ILL item, call the ILL office (504 596-2572) at least 3 days prior to the due date. The dute date is determined by the library that loaned the item
- A single renewal is usually (but not always) allowed