- The Boy and the Ghost. San Souci, Robert D.
- A poor boy hopes to win a fortune for himself and his family by spending a night in
haunted house and standing up to a frightening ghost.
- The Twelve Dancing Princesses. Grimm, Jacob.
- To win a bride and a kingdom, a soldier must discover why the dancing shoes of
a kingís twelve daughters are worn out night after night.
- Bimwili and the Zimwi. Aardema, Verna.
- A Swahili girl is abducted by a monstrous Zimwi, and told to be the voice inside his
- Help! Iím a Prisoner In the Library. Clifford, Eth.
- Two girls spend an adventurous night trapped inside the public library during a
- Doctor DeSoto. Steig, William.
- Mouse dentist Doctor DeSoto must strategize with his wife on the safest way to treat
a fox with a toothache.
- Why Mosquitoes Buzz in Peopleís Ears. Aardema, Verna.
- A West African tale in which a mosquito sets in motion a chain of events resulting in
the sunís failing to rise in the morning.
- Mirette on the High Wire. McCully, Emily Arnold.
- Set in 19th Century Paris, this story tells of how a young girl helps The Great Bellini, a high-wire performer suddenly beset by fear, regain his courage.
- Verdi. Cannon, Janell.
- A young python does not want to grow up slow and boring like the older snakes he
sees in the tropical jungle where he lives.
- St. George and the Dragon. Hodges, Margaret.
- Retells the story in which the knight George slays the terrible dragon that has been terrifying the countryside for years, and brings peace and joy to the land.
- The Golem. Wisniewski, David.
- A saintly rabbi builds a mighty man of clay to protect the Jews of Prague from mob violence during the 16th century.