| Completed pavement of Orleans Street in front of the French
Hospital, February 28, 1937.|
The old French Hospital at 1821 Orleans was built in 1860s and operated by the Societe Francaise de Bienfaisance et d'Assistance Mutuelle de la Nouvelle-Orleans (Lee Harvey Oswald was born in the facility on October 18, 1939). The Knights of St. Peter Claver purchased the building in 1951 and used it as their national headquarters and as an office building. Among the tenants of the Claver Building were attorneys A. P. Tureaud and Ernest N. "Dutch" Morial. The structure was demolished in 1986.
Back to April thumbnails