| The WPA repaired North Peters Street in the rear of the French
Market, facilitating the handling of freight into the market stalls. This
photograph was taken on January 5, 1937.|
The Morning Call coffee stand ("New Orleans Most Famous Coffee Drinking Place") is shown at the left of the photograph. At the right is the WPA-built wholesale seafood shed (since demolished). The taller structure at the end of the market complex is the United States Mint which, in 1937, was being used as a federal prison.
Back to April thumbnails