|The little shotgun shown here once stood at 313 South Derbigny Street. By 1958 it was more or less surrounded by commercial structures including Rosenberg's Furniture and the Tamanaca Motel. Its owner and the owners of the larger building behind (at 1802-1804 Palmyra Street) petitioned to have the zoning changed from Multiple Family to Heavy Commercial. The Planning Commission approved their request and the Council granted the petition, allowing the buildings to be demolished to make way for construction of an annex to the Tamanaca Motel located just across South Derbigny. The cleaning establishment shown at the left edge of the photograph operated as the Tulane Cleaners. It too is gone.
[Photograph by Randon Picture Service(zoning docket 58/36)]
|Back to August thumbnails|