The Main Library for the New Orleans Public Library system stood at Lee Circle for fifty years, from 1908-1958. Designed by architect Allison Owen and built with funds donated by Andrew Carnegie, the structure was sold by the city after the new Central Library opened at 219 Loyola Avenue. The new owners, the John Hancock Insurance Co., had the old library demolished in order to erect a modern office building. More recently occupied by the K&B drugstore chain, the Skidmore, Owings and Merrill-designed structure currently is up for sale.
Next image
Back to December thumbnails