Mayer Israel Department Store
Mayer Israel's on Canal St. was a fixture in downtown New Orleans from 1906 until it closed in the late 1950s. As a young man, Mayer Israel entered the business of his uncle Leon Godchaux and, in 1891 purchased the clothing house of H.D. McGown. In 1906, he moved the store to 706 Canal, and in 1910, he purchased the property at 714 Canal and had a new structure built on the site. The store later expanded into 716 Canal as well.
Back to January Images