Louisiana State Arsenal, 600 St. Peter St.

Built in 1839 the Arsenal, behind the Cabildo, is one of the few surviving buildings in Louisiana designed by architect James H. Dakin, who also designed St. Patrick's Church and the Old State Capitol in Baton Rouge. The Arsenal stands on the site of the old prison built by the Spanish and was built to replace an older arsenal in the area. The building continued to be used as a storehouse for munitions until 1914, when it was converted into a museum for war relics. Later that year, the building and its contents were given to the Louisiana State Museum. The Arsenal underwent extensive renovation following the Cabildo fire in 1988. Today the Museum uses the building for exhibitions and for public programs and events.

To see Dakin's original design for the Arsenal, link HERE.