St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Camp St.
The Episcopal parish of St. Paul's dates to 1836. Its first church, erected in 1839, was
the third oldest Episcopal church in Louisiana. The church shown here was the third of the parish's
churches, built in 1893 to replace an earlier church which burned in 1891. It
survived, standing just next to the statue of philanthropist Margaret Haughery, until the late 1950s, when it
demolished to make way for the approaches to the Mississippi River Bridge. St. Paul's built a new church
on Canal Blvd., incorporating the stained glass windows from the Camp St. church. In 1994, the Camp St.
upramp to the bridge was itself demolished, and the area around this site was restored.
This photograph appears to have been taken at Mardi Gras; note the costumed pedestrians making
their way towards the parade route.
This photograph appears to have been taken at Mardi Gras; note the costumed pedestrians making their way towards the parade route.