This building at the corner of Canal and Carondelet was home to L. Feibleman and Co., an early New Orleans Department store, from 1897 until 1931. In 1930, Feibleman became affiliated with Sears, Roebuck and Co. and shortly thereafter began to construct a new building at the corner of Baronne and Common Streets, where a branch of the store had been located for some time. The "new" Feibleman's opened in 1931, consolidating the Canal Street and Baronne Street stores. This photograph shows the original Canal Street building shortly before it was demolished to make way, in 1949, for the Gus Mayer store.
Next
Back to January thumbnails