Behind the trees is #2 Audubon Place, since 1965 the residence of the presidents of Tulane University. The house (now painted white) was built in 1908 for cotton broker William Jay in what was the first of several "private residential parks" developed Uptown. In 1917, the house was sold to Samuel Zemurray, the United Fruit Co. magnate, whose widow donated it to Tulane. Unlike the other residential parks such as Rosa Park, Richmond Place, Everett Place, Vincennes Place and Wirth Place, Audubon Place is still a private street, under the control of its property owners, not the City of New Orleans.
Next
Back to January thumbnails