As part of Mayor deLesseps S. Morrison's massive streets improvement program in the 1950's, the city took some of the curves out of the DeSaix Circle, shown here in August, 1955, before the "improvements." (Click HERE for the "after" shot of the same scene.) The changes were part of a larger project to widen St. Bernard Ave. from North Broad to the circle.

[Photograph by Leon Trice]