The second Pontchartrain Beach opened in 1939 and enjoyed several decades of prosperity. Its amusement park, swimming pool, and public beach remain vivid in the memories of many local residents.

The beach is shown here when it was almost new in the summer of 1940. Although the amusement park section of the beach was under private management, the seawall, public beach, walkways, and bathing facilities were built with public money and with labor supplied by the WPA.