A final view of Lakeshore Drive, taken at its opening in July, 1937. The entire lakefront was built on land reclaimed from the bottom of the lake itself by the Orleans Levee Board -- and the WPA. When it opened, the WPA called Lakeshore Drive's lighting system "one of the finest in the South." This area, which opens up the vistas of Lake Pontchartrain to New Orleans' citizens, remains one of the city's jewels.