Cleveland and Poydras Playgrounds, 1912

In 1912, the children of the Cleveland Playground held two penny parties which raised nearly $75 for their playground. Cleveland also sponsored sewing classes and basketball and indoor baseball teams. The Poydras Playground was the smallest of he city's playgrounds, but its children raised $114.50 in 1912 through a benefit at the Lafayette Theatre. The Commission used the money to improve the facility and had $85 leftover, which it planned to use to buy river sand from the Levee Board.

The caption for these photographs reads:

Top, Cleveland Playgrounds; L. di Benedetto, Manager of Playgrounds; Poydras Playgrounds.

[Report of New Orleans Playgrounds Commission for Nineteen Hundred and Twelve]