Jackson Barracks. When the military facility was established in 1834, it was surrounded by a brick wall with loopholed towers at each of its four corners. In 1912, the levee in front of the Barracks collapsed and had to be rebuilt farther inland. To accommodate the new levee, the two front towers had to be demolished. This photograph documents the demolition of one of those towers.


Back to June Thumbnails