The United States Custom House, 423 Canal Street. This monumental granite structure, which takes up an entire city block, was nearly 30 years in the building. Work began on the building in 1848, was interrupted by the Civil War, and was finally completed in 1881. The Custom House served as the city's main post office from 1860 until 1906 and as prison for Confederate soldiers during the Union occupation of New Orleans.
Next
Back to March thumbnails