A view of Canal Street, which boasted that it was "the widest street in the world." On the corner of St. Charles Ave. (left) is the Crescent Billiards Hall (formerly the Merchants Hotel and now the home of the Pickwick Club). The steeple in the distance at right is the second Christ Church at Canal and Dauphine (the present site of the Maison Blanche Building). In the center of Canal Street is the Henry Clay monument, erected in 1860 and moved to Lafayette Square in 1901. In the foreground of the print at right are the Touro Buildings, a block of stores built by Judah Touro.
Next
Back to March thumbnails