Protestant Episcopal Children's Home (Part 7)
The Protestant Episcopal Children's Home opened its doors in 1860 to care for children left homeless by yellow fever. Its original building was at 609 Jackson Avenue. Shown here is the second structure at 625 Jackson, built in 1884. In 1942, Sara T. Mayo Hospital took over the property. The building was later demolished and a new hospital constructed at the same location.