Images of the Month Gallery--Part 2
|One of the city's newer public recreational facilities is Pontchartrain Park, developed in the 1950s by the Parkway and Park Commission from vacant lakefront ground adjacent to the Industrial Canal. As illustrated by this 1957 photograph, the "greening" of Pontchartrain Park was quite literally accomplished from the ground up!|
|The Parkway and Park Commission also maintains the city's neutral grounds. This photograph from the 1914 Annual Report of the Parking Commission shows the splendid planting of Live Oak trees on the median of North Claiborne Ave. The destruction of this greenway, to make way for the elevated I-10 expressway, was a great loss not only to the immediate neighborhood, but to the city as a whole. The Parking Commission, by the way, was the predecessor agency to the Parkway and Park Commission. More recently, with passage of the new city charter, the agency name has again changed to the Department of Parks and Parkways.|
|Harried pedestrians no doubt welcomed tropical resting places such as the Elk Place neutral ground at Canal Street. This post card view, dated 1955, shows the old Southern Railway Station still occupying the opposite neutral ground at Basin Street.|
|For many years the Canal Boulevard neutral ground was one of the Parkway and Park Commission's showcases. This photograph, taken in March, 1956, shows the section adjacent to Greenwood Cemetery, just north of City Park Avenue.|
|Parkway and Park Commission workers planting tulips around the McDonogh monument in Lafayette Square, February, 1957.|
|Interior view of a new Parkway and Park Commission greenhouse, February, 1959.|
|During the Great Depression the Parking Commission and the WPA cooperated in the establishment of the New Orleans Floral Trail. The initial project resulted in the beautification of 25.7 miles of neutral grounds and parkways through the planting of palms, flowering trees and shrubs at a total cost of $233,756. A portion of the Floral Trail, which began and ended at Lee Circle, is shown in this January 25, 1937 photograph from our WPA Collection.|
|This ca. 1940 post card features a mass planting of azaleas in City Park. The message
side of the card includes the following note
The city has recently completed a floral trail of over thirty-five miles in length, making this one of the most colorful winter garden spots in the United States.
Return to Part 1 of this Gallery.
Back to Images Archive