The polo field, City Park, ca. 1905. The New Orleans Polo Club was formally organized in late 1902 and played matches on a field secured from the Commissioners of City Park. The charter members got their polo ponies from Texas and trained the mounts themselves; for a dressing room, they used space in one of the restaurants adjacent to the park. By 1908, there were at least two teams in the league: the Reds and the Whites.
Back to November thumbnails