|Southern Railway Station, 1950. Designed by the great Daniel Burnham and built in 1907, this fine structure stood on the Basin Street neutral ground for fifty years. When the new Union Passenger Terminal opened on Loyola Avenue, the old Southern station, along with the other independent terminals around the city, became redundant. Talk of moving the Main Library from Lee Circle into a renovated Southern Railway building remained just talk, and the terminal was demolished. Mayor deLesseps S. Morrison's administration redeveloped the site as the Garden of the Americas later in the 1950s.