United States Branch Mint
[Esplanade Avenue between North Peters and Decatur Streets]

"Is situated on what was formerly called Jackson Square, being nearly the former site of Fort St. Charles, and was designed by Wm. Strickland, architect, and contracted for by John Mitchell and Benjamin F. Fox, builders. It is an edifice of the Ionic order, of brick, plastered to imitate granite; having a centre building projecting, as also two wings; is strongly built, with very thick walls, and well finished. Our limits will not enable us to go into a detailed description of its interior arrangements, which, however, may be generally spoken of as such, as not to discredit the distinguished engineer who planned it. The total length of the edifice is 282 feet, and the depth about 108--the wings being 29 by 81, and the whole three stories in height. It was begun September, 1835, and is now on the point of being completed--at a cost of $182,000. The machinery for coining, &tc. is elegant and highly finished, and when in operation will prove an interesting sight for our citizens, which from the gentlemanly urbanity of the officers of the establishment will be easily enjoyed. The square is being surrounded by a neat iron railing on a granite basement."

Next Image
Back to October Images