Images of the Month Gallery
The Contractors and Dealers' Exchange, established in 1906, grew out of a number of earlier organizations dating back to 1810 and the New Orleans Mechanics' Exchange. Among the purposes of the new body was to "provide and maintain an exchange in the City of New Orleans devoted to the requirements and wants of mechanics, dealers, lumbermen, contractors and other persons engaged in mechanical and industrial pursuits." Shortly after its creation (probably in 1908) the Exchange published a volume titled Architectural New Orleans. The work includes a brief history of the Exchange along with several dozen photographs illustrative of the work in which it was involved.
And click HERE to visit previous Images of the Month.