School of Medicine, Common Street
The New Orleans School of Medicine on Common St. (now Tulane Ave.) opposite Charity
Hospital was founded in
1856 by Dr. Erasmus Darwin Fenner and others and became a "rival" of the older Medical College of Louisiana. By
1860, enrollment had reached over 400. The school closed after the federal occupation of New Orleans but reopened
briefly after the war. It closed its doors permanently in April, 1870.