Masonic Hall, St. Charles Avenue
The first of three builidngs on St. Charles Ave. at Perdido St. to house the Masonic hall. This
structure, designed by James Gallier, Sr., was built in the late 1840s as the Commercial Exchange. Initially, one room of
the building served as the Masonic hall, but in 1853, the Grand Lodge of Louisiana purchased the entire building. The hall was demolished in 1891 and replaced by a new Masonic building, itself torn down in 1926, when the present structure on the site was built. Earlier this year, the third Masonic Hall was sold to hotel developers.