St. Charles Hotel

The second St. Charles Hotel, between Common and Gravier, replaced the original hotel on the same site, which burned to the ground in a spectacular fire in 1851. The second building, designed by Isaiah Rogers and George Purves, also fell victim to fire in 1894 and still another St. Charles Hotel rose on the site. The third St. Charles Hotel was demolished in 1974.