New Orleans Public Library
Page Two - Jackson Barracks
This military facility was established in 1834 along the Mississippi River in St. Bernard Parish. Initially named the New Orleans Barracks, in 1866 the compound was renamed Jackson Barracks after Andrew Jackson, 7th United States President and hero of the Battle of New Orleans. Jackson Barracks has served a variety of military purposes; today the facility houses the National Guard.
These photographs were taken after the river flooded and the levee collapsed in 1912. In order to better protect the barracks from flooding, the compound was moved further inland and a new levee was built.