New Orleans Public Library
Page Five - Ursuline Convent
The first Ursuline Convent, in the Vieux Carre, had housed the Ursuline nuns since 1734. In 1820, when the City Council decided to extend Chartres Street through the location of their Vieux Carre quarters, the nuns sought a different location to build a new convent.
They chose a spot further down the river, near where the Industrial Canal is today. Bishop DuBourg, oversaw the construction of the new convent and the nuns moved into their new home in 1824. They remained at this site until they moved to their present-day location on State Street in 1912.
These photographs depict the convent at various stages towards the end of its existence – prior to demolition, at the start of demolition, and during demolition.