C. Milo Williams
Photograph Collection

Louisiana Division
New Orleans Public Library


Date range: ca. 1890-1910
Size of collection: 83 prints
Source: Gift, Clark Library, Brigham Young University, 1971
Terms of Access: Available to registered researchers by appointment.
Copyright Information: Please discuss with an archivist in the Louisiana Division.


Historical Note

Charles Milo Williams (1867-1954), a native of New Orleans, was a prominent engineer and architect in his native city. He was a local pioneer in the use of reinforced concrete for residences and built many homes in the Carrollton section. In addition to his professional activities, Williams was also active in musical and dramatic activities, and was an amateur photographer.

Scope and Content

The 5x7 and 8x10 prints were produced in 1973 from glass negatives donated by Brigham Young University. They are mounted on board. Included are views of local buildings, monuments, and cemeteries, along with images of New Orleans street scenes, people, City Park, and the riverfront.

The prints were scanned as grayscale images at 400 dpi on a Hewlett Packard 4200cse scanner and saved as 2000 pixel TIFFs using Photoshop 4.0.The TIFFs are being retained as archival masters. Photoshop was also used to produce edited 600 pixel JPEGs and the 150 pixel JPEG thumbnails displayed below.

Detailed Description of the Records

Folder One
Click on a thumbnail below for a 600 pixel version of the image.


The Chalmette Monument

The Chalmette Monument

Entrance to City Park

Suicide Oak, City Park

Lafayette Square

Lafayette Square

St. Charles Street

St. Charles Street

Gravier Street

Canal Street

French Quarter courtyard

Oyster landing

Howard Memorial Library

Howard Memorial Library

Lee Monument

Oyster landing

The New Venus

Charity Hospital

The Athenaeum

The Harmony Club


Next folder
Back to C. Milo Williams Collection Main Page
Back to Louisiana Division Photograph Collection

6/12/2000--we