In a catalogue of the Public School Library of Municipality No. 2, published in 1848, it is stated that the library owes its origin to the enlightened spirit of the council of Municipality No. 2 of the city of New Orleans, and is founded on an ordinance submitted to that body by Saml. J. Peters, Esq., and adopted on the 3d of December, 1844. On December 19 Mr. Peters, handed over to the library. from an individual unknown, the sum of $1000; by February 1, 1845, Mr. Shaw had collected from the schools $391.75. The monthly collection through him amounted to about $100, for some years. On February 15, 1845, $500 was presented by James Robb, Esq. Fines formed a large portion of the revenue. From the l5th of April to the 31st of December, 1845, these amounted to $2890.30.
The first regular librarian was Mr. Samuel McConnell. The names of many persons now prominent in the city are registered on the books as members. The number of members to May the 9th, 1853, was 530, made up of:
Life members .................. 504
The directors of public schools adopted further measures to establish the library on the 10th of March, 1846. The collection consisted
Honorary life members ....... 3
Annual subscribers ...... 23