at that time of 3400 volumes. It occupied the lower front room in the building, now occupied by Soule's Commercial College, corner of St. Charles and Lafayette streets, at that time used as the City Hall.|
In 1848 the library numbered 7516 volumes, of which 248 bad been presented.
On the completion of the City Hall in 1849 the Library was transferred to the spacious room on the first floor which it occupied uninterruptedly until it was removed in 1897.
In 1859 it was resolved to consolidate with the library already existing those of the First, Third and Fourth Districts. To that end was passed Ordinance No. 4439, which was approved on March 18, 1859.
The official title of Lyceum and Library Society was given to the united libraries, and it was placed under the sole direction and control of five directors, to be named by the Mayor and approved by the alderman.
In January, 1873, the City Library and Lyceum Hall were placed under the control and supervision of the Mayor, with sole authority to provide rules for same.
Mrs. Culbertson, the last Librarian, occupied that position from 1873 to 1897.